Monday, November 5, 2012

My heroes are...



Today, I would like to talk about heroes. Not the groan-inducing character breakdown of 'The Hero's Journey' present in almost every High School English class. Nor am I referring to a philosophical analysis of the idealism behind popular heroes, which describes the theme most of my other writings show. I want to share my personal heroes-two of them in specific, and why I think of them as my heroes.

A hero is not simply one I feel I should honor, but one whose life choices and story I aspire to and respect. For example, my twin sister died of cancer when we were 8 years old. I remember her well and miss her but she isn’t my hero. She is definitely someone that I mourn and love, but not a hero. An inspiration sure, but not my hero.

My good friend Sonja is one of my heroes.  She is one of the people whom I would trust with my life. The way she forgives and listens and helps others is something I work every day to imitate.
C.S. Lewis is another one of my heroes. Also one of my favorite authors his way of thinking and mastery of beautiful and concise language astounds me and allows me to read and reread his work. I love the way he explains spirituality and the patterns of human behavior in Mere Christianity and I respect the genius way he explains each and every idea in his work The Abolition of Man. I understand and agree with his view of the human condition and the natural parallels throughout the universe.
Both of these people are two of my heroes in very different ways. I've carefully chosen those few people who I call my heroes. I hope I'm not the only one. It’s refreshing to define who they are and specifically why. You should try it too. Who is your hero?

No comments:

Post a Comment